With the 27-inch 512GB iMac on Sale, the Retina 5K display desktop computer that does it all is even more worth it. It has the latest Intel processors and graphics, advanced storage options, high-performance networking, and macOS Big Sur. And its stunning Retina 5K...
How to Split Screen on Mac | 2022
One of the best ways to get more work done is by staying on top of your tasks and projects. Frequently, it can be difficult for people who are constantly switching between apps back and forth. The solution? Split Screen! In this article, we will go over how to split screen on Mac!
How to Split Screen on Mac
Split View allows you to fill your Mac screen with two apps without moving and resizing windows manually. When working from home, especially, a single window isn’t always enough. The ability to switch between tasks is facilitated by having many windows open. Sometimes you need numerous things available, whether to glance at data to create a report, have a chat window up while exploring, or watch videos while you work. It can be tiresome and time-consuming to switch between full-screen applications. Next, we dive into how to split screen on Mac.
How to Split Screen on Mac:
1. Open two apps you would like to use in split-screen. . Verify that none of the windows you intend to use is full-screen.
2. Position your cursor over the green button in the top left of one of the windows you want to use. Instead of clicking to enlarge the window, hold your cursor over it until a drop-down menu appears.
3. Choose either the tile window on the left or the tile window on the right of the screen. The split-screen mode will be initiated automatically on your Mac.
4. On the other side of the screen will then show other open windows. The window you select will fill the remaining half of your screen when you click it on the rest of your screen.
5. Use the slider in the middle of the screen to adjust the size of the windows.
You can view both windows at once while using Split View. Let’s multitask!
Adjusting Split View on Mac
With Split View, you can adjust how much of your screen each app takes up. You don’t need to divide it evenly, and this is particularly useful in viewing a large web page with an odd design or extra space while working on a big spreadsheet.
Some apps have minimum widths that won’t allow adjusting the bar, though, so be aware.
If you want to swap the windows’ locations, click and hold an app’s Title Bar, then drag it to the opposite side. The window will automatically switch places!
If you find the windows too small, you can adjust the resolution of the entire window. This will give you more room to get your multitask on!
Accessing Mission Control in a split-screen view
Now, you can easily toggle between both windows in split-screen mode. If you need to access your desktop, you can use Mission Control. To use Misson Control, you can use the F3 key or Control + Up Arrow. You can also set up gestures with your Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.
- Magic Trackpad Swiping up with three or four fingers
- Magic Mouse: Double-tap with two fingers
Want to use the gestures above? Make sure you have set up the correct settings. To do so, go into Apple Menu → System Preferences → Mouse / Trackpad and make sure to select the gestures above!
Split View can be a powerful tool for multitasking. You’ll never have to flip back and forth from window to window again! When activated, the menu bar and Dock will automatically hide from view while Split View is active.
Why is my Mac unable to use the split screen?
- Initially, ensure sure fullscreen mode is not active. The default windowed view is the only one that supports the split screen. Whether that’s not the problem, check to see if Displays have distinct Spaces activated in System Preferences > Mission Control. If not, enable it now.
- Make sure you have updated to macOS 10.11 or later if you can’t see that option in the Mission Control menu. By selecting About this Mac from the top left menu’s Apple symbol, you may find out what OS version is currently installed on your computer. By choosing the Software Update screen, you must update if you’re using an earlier version option on that.
*Note that not all applications enable split displays. The app most likely doesn’t offer split-screen mode if you’ve done everything else, and it won’t tile in that mode.
If you found this article helpful about how to split screen on Mac (Split-View), you might also find these Mac Advisers articles useful as well.
- How to take a screenshot on Mac | 2021
- How to Right-Click on a Mac with Magic Mouse | 2021
- 11 most useful Mac keyboard shortcuts | 2021
- How to Undo on Mac – Keyboard Shortcuts | 2021
- How to Type the Degree Symbol on Mac | 2021
- How to Reset SMC MacBook Pro & MacBook Air | 2021
- How to Split Screen on Mac | 2021
- How to make a Cent Sign on Mac
If you know of any other helpful refresh tricks, keyboard shortcuts, or other options that could be helpful to Mac users, drop in below and leave a comment.
Want to use Split View mode on your Mac? Make sure you have set up the correct settings. To do so, go into Apple Menu → System Preferences → Mission Control and check Displays have separate Spaces.
Reset SMC MacBook Pro If your MacBook starts acting up, you should probably run through some standard troubleshooting procedures. Some of these include restarting it and running Disk Utility as well as doing a Safe Boot. You can also try zapping the NVRAM if...
How to Make a Quick Note Shortcut Mac You'll be glad to know that the Quick Notes function has an effortless and nearly immediate keyboard shortcut that will open the Notes app on the Mac to type information and keep critical information. What is the keyboard shortcut...
How to Share WIFI password from iPhone to Mac Using the shared Wi-Fi password function will make joining a Wi-Fi network much simpler for Mac users trying to connect to a friend's, a family member's, or a business wireless network. This is helpful for various reasons,...
So you think creating a video recording of your Mac's screen intimidates the heck out of you? Well, don't worry! Apple already has all the tools in place to screen record on Mac with audio. And it couldn't be easier to use--if you know how to take a...
Have you ever wondered how to make a cent sign on Mac? Have you ever googled the cent symbol then copied and pasted it? Your not the only one! Typing the cent symbol on a Mac was a mystery for me for quite a while. When filling in a spreadsheet or typing a...
In this article, we will cover how to refresh browser on Mac, why you might want to do a browser refresh and a few more cool tricks along the way. Mac users who have switched from Windows might be wondering what the equivalent refresh button is when they are...