With the 27-inch 512GB iMac on Sale, the Retina 5K display desktop computer that does it all is even more worth it. It has the latest Intel processors and graphics, advanced storage options, high-performance networking, and macOS Big Sur. And its stunning Retina 5K...
How to Password Protect a Folder on Mac | 2022
How to Password Protect a Folder on Mac
It’s no secret that we all have personal information and files on our computers that are better kept to ourselves. Whether you’re a student in school, an employee with sensitive company documents, or just someone who wants privacy from strangers–everyone needs the opportunity for some peace of mind regarding their digital life. The question is can you put a password on a folder? Sure can; keep reading to find out plus more.
The following is a guide to protecting your digital documents. We will show you how to password-protect an individual folder on your Mac, individual files, and notes.
How to Password Protect a Folder on Mac
You can password protect folder contents on your Mac with the built-in utility Disk Utility. First, ensure everything you want to secure is in a single folder on your computer. Consider how you would like to save files for better organization of content.
Follow the steps below to password protect a folder on Mac:
1. Open Disk Utility
2. Select File
3. Click New Image, then click Image From Folder.
4. Next, select the folder you want to password protect
5. Choose the encryption level: 128-bit or 256-bit. 128-bit is the recommendation from Apple. 128-bit is faster, while 256-bit is the more secure encryption.
6. Enter and verify the password
7. Name the folder
8. Below Image Format, select read/write from the drop-down menu.
9. Lastly, click Save.
How to Password Protect a File on Mac
How to Password protect a Note on Mac
Apple’s Notes app for macOS makes it easy to keep your files secure. You can create a note from scratch or scan an existing document on your Mac, iPhone, or iPad and password protect the note.
1. Open the Notes app on your Mac
2. Select the Note you want to password protect.
3. In the menu bar of the Notes window, click the Lock icon
7. Enter and verify the password
7. Lastly, Select Set Password
How to Password Protect a PDF on Mac
One of the most important things to remember about Preview is that it can only password protect PDF files. If you want to keep your other file types safe, first export them as a PDF to password protect the file. Here’s how:
1. Open the PDF in Preview
2. In the menu bar, select File
3. Select Export
4. In the following menu, click the Encrypt box
5. Enter and verify your password
6. Select Save
If you’re looking to keep some of your work private, there’s a way for you to password protect files in Pages, Keynote, or Numbers.
1. Open up the File on one of these apps
2. Select File from the menu bar
3. Click Set Password
4. Enter and verify the password
Hopefully, we helped learn how to password protect a folder, files and more on Mac!
If you found this article helpful, you might also find these Mac Advisers articles useful as well.
- How to Undo on Mac – Keyboard Shortcuts | 2021
- How to Uninstall Apps on Mac | 2021
- How to Type Emojis on Mac | 2021
- How to Connect iMessage to Mac | 2021
- How to Sign Out of iMessage on Mac | 2021
- How to AirDrop from Mac to iPhone | 2021
Drop your comments below!
Reset SMC MacBook Pro If your MacBook starts acting up, you should probably run through some standard troubleshooting procedures. Some of these include restarting it and running Disk Utility as well as doing a Safe Boot. You can also try zapping the NVRAM if...
How to Make a Quick Note Shortcut Mac You'll be glad to know that the Quick Notes function has an effortless and nearly immediate keyboard shortcut that will open the Notes app on the Mac to type information and keep critical information. What is the keyboard shortcut...
How to Share WIFI password from iPhone to Mac Using the shared Wi-Fi password function will make joining a Wi-Fi network much simpler for Mac users trying to connect to a friend's, a family member's, or a business wireless network. This is helpful for various reasons,...
Have you ever wondered how to make a cent sign on Mac? Have you ever googled the cent symbol then copied and pasted it? Your not the only one! Typing the cent symbol on a Mac was a mystery for me for quite a while. When filling in a spreadsheet or typing a...
In this article, we will cover how to refresh browser on Mac, why you might want to do a browser refresh and a few more cool tricks along the way. Mac users who have switched from Windows might be wondering what the equivalent refresh button is when they are...
One of the best ways to get more work done is by staying on top of your tasks and projects. Frequently, it can be difficult for people who are constantly switching between apps back and forth. The solution? Split Screen! In this article, we will go over how...